Trinity Southwest University
Veritas International University
Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project:
23 January through 3 March 2022
(actual dig days)
The Tall el-Hammam Excavation Project (TeHEP) is one of the most important archaeological excavations in the Holy Land. The are many reasons for this, but here are some great ones: We're unearthing the largest Bronze Age site in the region, likely the site of biblical Sodom itself; the weather is perfect for excavating, not too hot, not too cold; the training, experience, and field trips are fantastic! That's why so many of our participants are repeats from previous seasons.
Located just northeast of the Dead Sea at about 500 ft. below sea level, Tall el-Hammam is ideal for digging during the winter months, with daytime temperatures ranging from 55 to 80 degrees F. And the air is cleaner and clearer during this time than any other time of the year.
Participate in Season Sixteen by following these three easy steps: (1) pay your participant fee at shoptsu-edu.us, or contact Dr. Glenda Austin in the TSU administrative office (email@example.com) or by phone at 505-332-4253, and fill out the registration provided by Glenda; (2) Declare your dig weeks with 48 hours; (3) Have your forms on Dr. Austin's desk within 30 days,
You'll take care of your own air/travel arrangements in coordination with Season Sixteen requirements (below) and instructions from Dr. Austin and; you'll pay half of your hotel bill when you check in, and the balance when you check out at the end of your dig experience.
Please be aware that you cannot book into the TeHEP headquarters hotel by any other means. This must be done through Dr. Austin in the TSU Administrative Office. TeHEP team members must stay at our headquarter hotel (we cannot make exceptions).
These are the requirements for individuals who wish to participate:
1. Due to more stringent DoA policies now in effect, the deadline for the 2022 participation fee and all volunteer forms is August 15, 2021. Additionally, a cancellation on your part will incur a $250 processing fee deducted from the participation fee refund. However, because of uncertainties created by the COVID-19 situation, the $250 processing fee will not be deducted from refunds requested on or before 15 July 2021. Thus, if you make your reservations early, you can get a full refund until 15 July 2021.
For each dig week there are 55 volunteer slots available. These slots will be filled on a first-come-first-served basis. When you sign up (by paying the participation fee) you must choose your dig week(s) within 48 hours by contacting Dr Glenda Austin by phone (505-332-4253) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you fail to do this your name will automatically be moved to the end of the list. You must also have your dig paperwork and security form in the TSU office within 30 days of paying the participation fee. If you fail to do this your name will be moved to the end of the list.
So, you must do three things to be a volunteer in Season Sixteen: first, pay your participation fee; second, declare your dig weeks within 48 hours; third, have your paperwork and security form on Dr Austin’s desk within 30 days.
When the number of volunteers reaches 45 for a given week, that week will be closed and no additional participants will be accepted for that week. PLEASE NOTE: If you plan to participate for multiple weeks or the entire 6-week season, early sign-up is a must. For example, if Week 3 fills up quickly before you register (which it tends to do), then the most you will be able to do are the weeks before or after Week 3.
The Early Sign-Up participation fees (must be paid by 28 May 2021)
Archaeology Students/TeHEP Alumni: $600.
All others: $775.
Regular Sign-Up participation fees (after 28 May 2021)
Archaeology Students/TeHEP Alumni: $775.
All others: $975.
*Student: any undergraduate, graduate, or doctoral student actively enrolled in an educational program directly related to or involving archaeology.
2. You must be in reasonably good physical condition. This is for your own protection. Working on an archaeological excavation can be physically demanding. While we always try to match dig responsibilities to the physical abilities of individuals, there is always considerable walking over rough terrain. You don’t have to be "young" to enjoy the dig experience of a lifetime. But you must be able to handle the work and the difficult landscape.
3. You must be a team player. People with their own agendas, or who are inclined to "do their own thing" to the exclusion of others, are usually more trouble than they’re worth to the Project. We need people who are courteous, helpful, thoughtful of others, and conscientious about being at the right place at the time with the right stuff.
4. You must carry your own travel and medical insurance. Many credit cards offer travel medical insurance plans that are comprehensive and inexpensive. There are medical facilities throughout Amman, the location of our headquarters, but you must have your own insurance should a medical problem arise.
5. 100% of cancellation fees are generally covered by travel insurance programs provided the premium has been paid and the reason for cancellation is insurable. Those who do not take out travel insurance should be aware of the following cancellation penalties for the down payment: from the time of registration a $250 non-refundable administration fee applies. Thereafter, the following refunds apply beyond the administration fee: 120 days or more prior to the excavation start date 75% of the down payment balance is refundable; from 60-119 days prior to the excavation start date 50% of the down payment balance is refundable. There is no refund for cancellations 0-59 days prior to the excavation start date (24 January 2021). Please submit your cancellation in writing.
For more information on the dig schedule, or the schedule of weekend tours click the link below.
If you have questions, please contact Glenda Austin in the TSU Administration Center, 505-332-4253, or email her at email@example.com.
We hope to see you at Tall el-Hammam this coming season!